Monday, March 9, 2009

Not so useless

Fortunately for me, i was blessed with the brain of a genius. I might not be able to build things, repair, or paint, but i am damn able to think things out.

Ever since I am able to remember, i have driven. I had my first car at age 15. It was a lovely 1970 Volvo S40. 4 gears. The first seatbelts made by humankind (volvo was the inventor and pioneer of seatbelts) and a huge 2.5 liter, double carburated engine.

My next car, at age 17 was a fabolous Nissan NX 1600. Previously owned by my cousin Miguel, it was, after a few modifications, the fastest and coolest looking car in town, and awarded me a couple of trophies.

After that, my little "sacapuntas" as i called my tiny ass, squared shaped Daihatsu Cuore, was totaled in a crash accident that costed me the hearing in my left ear, and double the amount i paid for the car. I learned never to drink and drive.

My mom´s and dad´s collection of Suv´s pedals have all been steped over by my experienced driver´s feet, leaving as a result, a lack of ability to walk even to the corner store. And of course, ripping me off the pleasure of bicycling.

I mention this last fact, because now, in a country so wealthy, that has some other concerns to worry about, such as pollution, recycling and helping less fortunate people, i have been "forced" to learn how to ride a bike in public. It is the fastest, cheapest and least polluting way to move around. Plus, since it is quite a honest society, it is also the least stressing, for you need not to worry about your radio, jack, batery or windshield being stolen...

So, first thing i get here, is a loan from Stina´s sister. The nicest, girliest, pinkest bike ever to be made. I can´t complain, i don´t even know how to ride... But apart from it all, it was that fact indeed, the reason why i got it in the first place... the bicycle was recently broken and stuck on first gear all the time, which means, the ratio of pedaling to advancing, is highly incredible. Of course, my most experienced sister in law, wouldn´t want this, so she gave away her bike to the rookie...

But today, as I got early to mi spanish class, waiting for the owners to open the door, and them, being latin as well, and remarkably late (one full hour) i had time to wander my sight around the gear system. Turns out it wasn´t as complicated as i thought, and with the help of a key doing as a screwdriver, i managed to fix it. I feel so glad and proud of myself. Just a week ago was I ashamed of my hammering skills, and yet today, in the best McGiver stunt, i fixed a bike.

The result, Stina´s sister wants her bike back. And I gave it back. For now I have a ´72 Mustang. No, it is not a car, it is just another type of bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment